Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan
Currently there is very limited Sanskrit literature available which introduces Sanskrit to children of various age groups in a creative, fascinating and systematic manner. There is a dearth of books of rhymes, puzzles, games, stories, songs, flash cards or other such interesting educational material to introduce Sanskrit alphabet with a scientific approach, or emphasise any other aspect of this language. There is also a shortage of audio-visual materials in Sanskrit which children can listen to and watch.
SAFIC, under its unique initiative of Samskrit Balasahitya Parishad, has been working hard to bring out good quality children’s literature for children of all ages. SAFIC works with the following essential qualities of qualitative literature:
- Creativity, originality and importance of ideas
- Imaginative use of language
- Beauty of literary and artistic style
- Covering topics of relevance and interests to children of specific age groups, through prose and poetry, fiction and nonfiction.
- Offering enjoyment to readers by bringing forth memorable characters and situations that give valuable insights into the human condition.
SAFIC has received a grant of Rupees Seven Lakhs from Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan for publishing 10 Sanskrit books for children.
SAFIC is currently working on completing 4 books. These will be published and available in market by Aug 2019. Work is also going on for 6 more books, which should be available by August 2020. All these books include specially commissioned literary work and artwork. Because these books are meant for children, special attention is given to include artwork and illustrations which are not only attractive for the children but are also elevating.
Four books ready to be published are:
- Hasya manjari – book of humorous stories for children (Author: Sampadananda Mishra)
- Nishigandha – an illustrated story book (Author: Rushi Raj Jani)
- Kathamadhuri – a book of stories (Author: Asha Agarwal)
- Gitagunjanam – book of songs for children (Author: Devi Sahay Pandey)